Korea Univ. Library Electronic Resources & Continuing Resource Selection Guide
Definition of Electronic Resources & Continuing Resource
- Electronic Resources
- Continuing Resource
Refers to academic materials that are produced and distributed in a digital form (i.e., e-Journal, e-Book, Web DB). Electronic Resources can be viewed through personal terminals such as computers and tablet PCs
Refers to materials that are continuously published on a regular/irregular basis. (i.e., printed journals, cultural magazines, newspapers (daily), etc.)
Procedures of the Application (Subscription/Purchase) & Selection of Electronic Resources & Continuing Resource
- The user shall fill out and submit the “Electronic/Continuing Resource Purchase/Subscription Request Form” (HWP , PDF)to the department in charge after getting signature/seal from a professor in charge or the department chair.
- However, in case of e-Books, the procedure will follow the process of ‘Publication Purchase Request.’ Purchase Request
- Guideline for Submitting Applications for the Subscription of Library Electronic Resources & Continuing Resource
|Material Type||Department in Charge||Phone|
|Electronic Resources||Collection Development & Management Dept.||email@example.com||02-3290-1473|
- Electronic Resources by Subject Area (Material Guideline & Usage Training, etc.)
|Subject Type||Department in Charge||Phone|
|Humanities/Natural Science/Engineering||Research Information Curation Services Dept.||firstname.lastname@example.org||02-3290-4228|
|Law||Collection Maintenance & Learning Services Dept.||email@example.com||02-3290-1505|
- In principle, electronic resources and continuing resources should be subscribed on an annual basis, and applications must be received by September 30th to renew the subscription for another year.
- However, in case of an urgent need to subscribe to a specific material, the subscription request may be reviewed during the semester when an official letter of request (written by the dean of a college, etc.,) is sent to the head of the library along with an official application form.
- After the application is submitted, a budget inspection and a propriety evaluation of the purchase/subscription of the electronic resources/continuous resource will be completed. Then, the final decision will be made before the end of December by the ‘Selection Committee,’ chaired by the head of the library (Library Director). Finally, the results shall be notified to the applicant.
Criteria & Principles for Material Selection
- Electronic resources and continuing resource subscribed/purchased by Korea Univ. Library must comply with the standards presented in the ““Korea Univ. Library Material Selection Guide””Materials with great academic value and expertise that could support the research & education curriculum of Korea Univ. will be prioritized.
- The following criteria and principles will be applied regarding the selection of electronic resources and continuing resource.
|Criteria & Principles for Selecting Electronic Resources & Continuing Resource|
|Peer Reviewed Journal Priority Principle||In the case of Electronic Resources and Continuing Resource, the priority shall be on Peer Reviewed Journals, which revers to professional academic resources that have been evaluated by experts in the field.|
|Index DB-listed Journal Priority Principle||
|Prioritize the Expertise & Influence of Academic Resources||
|Consideration of Equity among Subjects/Majors/Departments||
|Form (Electronic / Printed) of Academic Resources & Duplicate Subscription||
|Academic Resources that are obtainable through DDS||
|Subscription of Non-academic resources||
- To reduce subscription costs and ensure the stability of supply, the library shall subscribe to materials that are introduced through a domestic joint purchase consortium or a university license.
- Before making a subscription, the library can prioritize the reviewing of materials that provides a pilot service, and the amount of online usage during the trial period may be reflected in the decision-making process of the selection of academic resources. Library Electronic Resources & Continuous Resource Subscription Form – HWP PDF