|000||00000cam u2200205 a 4500|
|008||181224s2019 mau b 001 0 eng d|
|020||▼a 9780745689111 (hardback)|
|020||▼a 9780745689128 (pbk.)|
|040||▼a DNLM/DLC ▼e rda ▼c DLC ▼d 211009|
|050||0 0||▼a RC454|
|082||0 0||▼a 616.89 ▼2 23|
|084||▼a 616.89 ▼2 DDCK|
|090||▼a 616.89 ▼b R797o|
|100||1||▼a Rose, Nikolas S.|
|245||1 0||▼a Our psychiatric future : ▼b the politics of mental health / ▼c Nikolas Rose.|
|260||▼a Medford, MA : ▼b Polity, ▼c 2019.|
|300||▼a x, 269 p. ; ▼c 23 cm.|
|504||▼a Includes bibliographical references and index.|
|505||0||▼a What is psychiatry? -- Is there really an "epidemic" of mental disorder? -- Is it all the fault of neoliberal capitalism? -- If mental disorders exist, how shall we know them? -- Are mental disorders "brain disorders"? -- Does psychopharmacology have a future? -- Who needs global mental health? -- Experts by experience? -- Is another psychiatry possible?.|
|650||1 2||▼a Mental Health.|
|650||1 2||▼a Psychiatry.|
|650||2 2||▼a Health Policy.|
- Chapter One: What is psychiatry?
- Our psychiatric lives
- Everyone’s little helpers
- Many psychiatries
- Psychiatry defines the boundaries
- What mental disorder is
- Psychiatry as a political science
- The politics of psychiatry
- Critical psychiatry today
- Chapter Two: Is there really an ‘epidemic’ of mental disorder?
- ‘The burden of brain disorders’
- Counting the costs
- Burden today
- From ‘mental’ disorders to ‘brain disorders’
- So is there an ‘epidemic’?
- Chapter Three: Is it all the fault of neoliberal capitalism?
- Our unhappy present
- The factory of unhappiness
- Social capital
- So is it all the fault of neoliberal capitalism?
- Chapter Four: If mental disorders exist, how shall we know them?
- Diagnosis as a social phenomenon
- Solution One: Define the phenotype
- Solution Two: Find the biomarker
- Solution Three: Straight to the brain
- Solution Four: Beyond diagnosis
- From diagnosis to formulation
- Chapter Five: Are mental disorders ‘brain disorders’?
- Proven by psychopharmaceuticals?
- Discovered in the genes?
- Visible in the brain images?
- So are mental disorders brain disorders?
- Chapter Six: Does psychopharmacology have a future?
- How did we get here?
- The drugs don’t do nothing, but
- The pipeline is empty!
- Beyond psychopharmacology?
- Chapter Seven: Who needs global mental health?
- Grand challenge: no health without mental health?
- The debate
- Beyond the conflict?
- All our futures?
- Chapter Eight: Experts by experience?
- Mental patient movements
- From ‘on our own’ to ‘nothing about us without us’
- The politics of recovery
- A new epistemology of mental distress
- Have we moved beyond the monologue?
- Chapter Nine: Is another psychiatry possible?
- Manifestoes for the future
- Seven answers to seven hard questions
- Another psychiatry, another biopolitics